Minera San Rafael, the Guatemala operating company of Tahoe Resources Inc., is seeking a qualified SAFETY MANAGER at its Escobal mine in Santa Rosa Department, Guatemala. The SAFETY MANAGER reports directly to the General Manager.
Tahoe Resources Inc is a publicly traded company (TSX, BVL:THO/NYSE:TAHO) led by experienced mining professionals who are dedicated to the responsible production of precious metals in the Americas. As a new leader in precious metals, we operate the Escobal silver mine in Guatemala and La Arena gold mine in Peru and are developing the Shahuindo project, also in Peru.
Tahoe’s management team has proven experience in permitting, financing and building precious metal mines in Latin America. The Company is dedicated to maximizing shareholder value while working to the highest standards of environmental protection and community engagement.
Reporting to the SAFETY MANAGER will be all safety supervisors, technicians and assistants. The SAFETY MANAGER will also be responsible to oversee training and physical work area inspections in accordance with Safety department goals (these goals include advancing and implementing those safety practices and standards which meet / exceed industry standards for a safe, productive, and low-cost operation).
RESPONSIBILITIES WILL INCLUDE:
- Maintain and apply knowledge of current safety policies and regulations for mining and milling processes
- Assist in safety training throughout operations and assure all safety procedures and policies are in place, updated and communicated
- Visit all areas of the operations regularly to ensure MSHA & OSHA standards are being met
- Act as the company’s representative with government officials for safety matters
- Recommend process and product safety features that will reduce employees’ exposure to chemical, physical, and biological work hazards
- Provide strategic support in areas of occupational health and industrial hygiene, working closely with medical clinic and Human Resources
- Inspect facilities, machinery, and safety equipment to identify and correct potential hazards, and to ensure safety regulation compliance
- Ensure appropriate safety devices are installed on all machinery and equipment
- Implement the mine rescue program and ensure that the Emergency Response Plan and Procedures are suitable for the purposes required
- Review employee safety programs to determine their adequacy
- Investigate industrial accidents, injuries, or occupational diseases to determine causes and preventive measures
- Review plans and operational activities to determine whether all safety requirements have been met
- Report or review findings from accident investigations, facilities inspections, or environmental testing
- Interview employers and employees to obtain information about work environments and workplace incidents
- The Safety Manager will oversee and ensure proper administration of all company safety policies, compensation, and all other rules of work for all employees in all areas of the Escobal project. This may include hiring employees, discharge of employees with or without cause, level of compensation, approval and execution of promotions and demotions, and all other matters pertaining to safety performance of all workers on the project
- Undertake weekly, monthly and quarterly reports and presentations as required
- Lead the Safety Department by example and be involved in safety talks, meetings, presentations and seminars at operations
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Knowledge and experience with underground mine rescue
- Minimum 7 years in health and safety at an underground mining operation
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Work, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Detailed knowledge of underground and surface safety (MSHA & OSHA standards)
Tahoe Resources is an equal opportunity employer.